Monday, August 6, 2012

Douglas Creek TH to Devils Gate TH

I drove to the Pelton Creek Campground at the end of FSR 898 at the border of Colorado and Wyoming.  I started the ride from the Douglas Creek Trailhead.

Douglas Creek

Fireweed

Dakota was moving around a lot (notice his ear) but this is the sign for the intersection of the Douglas Creek Trail and the Platte River Trail.

This is the sagging roof line and chimney  of an old cabin of Edith "Bobbie" Thompson who lived here in the 1950's.  She was known as the "Angel of Keystone" for being a nurse, post mistress, cook, and teacher to the tie hacks and their families that lived in this area.  Tie hacks were men who lived in the forest, chopped down trees, and cut them into railroad ties.  

Dakota - this was after we had gone about 61/2 miles and ridden into a bog.

Zoe and Bear, two worn out dirty dogs.

Finally - the Devils Gate Trailhead!  Now all we had to do is ride back to the truck and trailer the way we came which consisted of 8 miles. By this point, I really wanted a helicopter to swoop down, pick us all up, and fly us home, but all you can do is keep going.  At about 2 miles into the return trip, I noticed that Dakota had lost his front right shoe, but he made it the whole way back without limping. 

NOTES:  Pictures taken with my Canon Powershot, didn't see anyone on the trail, weather was overcast, rained a little but not heavy, the Devil's Gate trail was hard to follow at the creek crossing and had downed timber, the Douglas Creek Trail was in good shape 

3 comments:

  1. Dakota sounds like a trooper! You all do, actually. I went on a hike last weekend that was way longer than I thought it would be so I totally get that wishing for a helicopter feeling!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So gorgeous! Vivienne was spot on with her comment...you all have so much more stamina than I but at least I can see it vicariously through you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful view of a part of the US I do not know.. ..I love fireweed and the trees are great. I will subscribe now..thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete