Monday, August 20, 2012

Bear Lake

This is my second attempt to go to Bear Lake.  On the first try on July 2, 2010, I was riding Duster with Bear and Zoe with me.  We got to within a half mile of the turnoff down to Bear Lake and there was still too much snow and the trail became impassable.

On this trip, I actually saw a bear!  It was the first one I have ever seen in the wild other than from a vehicle.  Dakota saw or smelled him first and then I looked to see what Dakota was looking at and saw the bear peeking out from behind a bush.  He was small and looked young and was different shades of light brown.  He ran away immediately.
The trailhead for the Grizzly-Helena Trail that leads to the Bear Lake Trail



There is an old miners cabin and a mine dug into the side of the rock mountains.  I thought I had a picture of the cabin, so I didn't take another one.  I don't know if the miner died there or just gave up and left, but it has always felt like a spooky place to me.


I don't know what kind of bird made this nest, but I thought it was cute.

The trail continues past the turnoff down to Bear Lake up to Ute Pass.  


Bear Lake

It's not a very big lake, but pretty cute.  I almost turned back because I thought I had gone far enough from the turnoff and the trail was getting very difficult with downed trees blocking it.  Then I heard some running water and kept going and we were only a short distance from the lake.  I'm so glad that I kept going because that would have meant a third attempt at some later date and I would have kicked myself when I found out we were that close.
Zoe

NOTES:  Rode Dakota, went with Bear & Zoe, saw two older male hikers together, weather cool with a little sprinkles, but then sun, parked along the road in front of the trailhead and was able to turn around in the Lake Katherine/Bighorn parking area because there were no vehicles parked there

No comments:

Post a Comment