Monday, June 25, 2012

Clear Lake Loop

The trailhead for Kelly Lake and Clear Lake trails at the end of CR 41 in the State Forest State Park.  I was not going to Clear Lake, but doing a long outer loop of the Clear Lake trail north and west, a distance of approximately 10 miles.  

Horse corrals at the trailhead

A lot of the pine trees are dead because of the beetle kill, but the aspens are still beautiful.




Copper at an old broken Clear Lake sign.  The bottom part says 4 miles.  The pink stuff on his face is called Swat and acts as a bug repellant.

It was so hot.  A  couple miles from here on the way back, I took my cotton shirt off and dunked it in an icy mountain stream.  It was a shock putting it back on, but it sure felt good to be cold.  A few more miles down the trail and it had completely dried out.


Notes:  I saw a cow elk down in the willows when I was headed north and a bull moose on the upper logging road when I was headed back.  There is a section of the trail, when I was headed north that is completely covered by downed timber, but I followed a faint path around it and was able to pick up the trail again.  There is also a fence with no gate blocking the trail.  Follow the fence around that section and you'll pick up the trail again.

1 comment:

  1. I love the clouds in these photos. The aspens are pretty, too. I didn't know horses needed bug repellent, thanks for making me smarter!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete